It’s a thing of nightmares and it always seems to happen in slow motion but no matter how slow it is or how you can see it happening, you are powerless to stop it. Your ink cartridge just fell out of your hands and went everywhere on the carpet. So now what? Do you replace the carpet? Move the furniture to cover up the stain? Or do you simply follow a few basic steps to safely, quickly and efficiently remove those pesky ink cartridge stains on the carpet? The latter definitely wins, hands down, so let’s find out just how to remove ink cartridge stains from your carpet!
The first thing to determine is if the ink from the cartridge is liquid or powdered form because it can change the first steps to take in the cleaning process!
For Liquid Ink:
up as much ink as possible with an old towel or rag; or heavy duty paper towels
if that is all that is available, by pressing lightly onto the stain without
rubbing the ink into the carpet
- Work from the outside of the spill inward to avoid spreading the stain more than it already is.
- Take a clean cotton towel that you don’t mind getting stained and pour some rubbing alcohol directly onto it. DO NOT pour onto the carpet as it can cause discoloration.
- Dab the stain with the alcohol soaked sections of the towel until the ink starts to lift from the carpet. Repeat this process until the ink is on the towel instead of the carpet but avoid using the same section of the towel multiple times as you can transfer ink back onto the carpet.
all the ink is removed from the carpet, take another clean towel or rag and
give one final spot treatment to remove any ink from the smaller fibers of the
- If the rubbing alcohol doesn’t remove the entirety of the stain, you can also use hydrogen peroxide (the kind found in the first aid section of your local drug store).
- Take one final clean towel and dampen it with room temperature or lukewarm water to rinse the carpet. Employ a dab method over the areas where the stain existed and once you are satisfied no more ink is in the carpet, stop.
- Let the area dry fully and voila! Ink is gone.
For Powdered Ink
- Vacuum all the loose powder off the carpet using the nozzle attachment on your vacuum cleaner. DO NOT press the nozzle directly into the carpet but instead hover the nozzle over the ink residue.
- Once all the loose powder is vacuumed up from the carpet, apply a carpet stain remover or spot treatment cleaner that has foaming action as per the instructions on the can.
- Soak a towel with lukewarm water and remove the foaming cleaner from the carpet, allowing the carpet to be rinsed at the same time.
- Pat the area with a dry towel to soak up any excess water and let the remainder air dry.
- Voila! Ink is gone.
Conclusion The next time you spill your ink cartridge all over the carpet, there is no need or rearranging furniture to strategically hide the evidence of your oops moment. There is no need of removing the carpet or changing the entire floor due to one stain. Just keep calm, follow the above tips and pray no one saw your moment of weakness J