The brother printer has a well-deserved reputation as a reliable workhorse in the printing industry. It is especially favoured by the home office and small business owners for giving a high output with a low cost of maintenance. But it has also been known to be plagued with issues.
A long-running issue is the brother printer suddenly stops printing black. This can be very frustrating as black is the most used color for printing. Before we delve into how to solve this issue, we will first look at the more common causes of the problem.
The issue almost typically occurs when a new inkjet cartridge is inserted. And most users understandably think they have bought a faulty new cartridge. This is not always the case. One of the frequent causes of the not printing black issue is the breather tape (also known as the shipping tape) not being removed totally before installing the cartridge in the printer. With the tape still on, the ink remains vacuum-sealed within the printer.
Another common cause is using an ink cartridge for too long after receiving the notification that the black ink is low. Continues usage at this stage, leads to air getting into the print nozzle or the lines going into the print nozzle, which will lead to the printer to stop printing black. Air getting into the print nozzle also might lead to the printer head getting damaged.
An avoidable cause is using low quality generic compatible printer cartridges, this introduces ink into the printer and nozzle system that has the potential to damage the nozzle and stops black ink from printing.
Also, there are some brother printers that come manufactured with a continuous ink supply system (CISS) that are susceptible to print head clogging due to sediment build-up associated with this type of printer.
To prevent this issue occurring, it is advisable to make it a habit to do the following with a brother printer:
- Print regularly to prevent sediment build up.
- Use only recommended compatible cartridges
- Place the printer in a position that cool and well ventilated; ink in a brother printer placed in warm location has the potential to congeal inside the printhead when not in use.
But if you are faced with the issue of brother printer not printing black. Use the following approach;
- Check that the breather tape has been completely removed
- Confirm that the new cartridge has been correctly identified by the printer.
- Run a few nozzles cleans on the black print nozzle from the LCD screen. Note that excessive nozzle cleans might actually damage the printer.
- If the above steps do not solve the issue, you might be required to disassemble the printer and clean the printer head.