Technology is a beautiful thing. Most people cannot imagine life without it. However, we live in a time where machines or appliances are doing most of the physical work for us, and we are now sitting more than humans have ever sat before. Sitting for long periods of time can have a negative impact on our posture, not to mention our productivity. Therefore, what are the ways to have better posture when sitting in an office chair for eight hours?
There are six factors that impact our posture.
- Our desk chair. An adjustable chair is important. It affects our comfort, our posture and how well we can work. Office chairs should fit our bodies and be comfortable to sit in for an extended time.
- Our desk. Our chair should fit the height and width of our desk. Be aware of how our arms are positioned, where our chair is and how far it is from our desk and computer.
- Our computer. Our computer should not just fit our desk, it should be in a position where our eyes, neck and bodies are not straining or twisting to see it.
- Our posture. Our feet should lay flat on the floor, if they are not lying flat, consider using a small footrest to ensure proper posture. Do not sit with crossed legs. Crossing our legs is unhealthy and a bad habit we need to break because it is bad for our circulation.
- Our movements or lack thereof. It is a known fact that when we have a sedentary job, we need to get up and move around throughout the day. Not only for circulation to our limbs but also for our brain to function well. It is recommended to take a break every 30 minutes, even if it is to get up and walk around the office or home.
- Our hydration. Drinking enough water is what hydrates our bodies. Coffee, tea, soda or energy drinks are poor choices to keep our bodies well hydrated. Hydration also keeps fatigue at bay, increasing productivity in the thinking department.
As we go back to work today, tomorrow, next week or next month, think about these things. It is to our health and works advantage to improve our work area, posture, movement and hydration. If you are looking for a new office chair in Canada, we have these office chairs for sale now!