If your printer can not recognize the cartridges during installation even though you tried all the problem-solving procedure. In this case, you have to update the driver of your printer. Here are the procedure of how to update the printer driver.
For Windows XP and Windows 2000
When updating drivers provided with previously-released versions of Windows, use the following guidelines:
- Update only driver files that are specific to your device or devices.
- Test thoroughly the updated version of the driver using the appropriate Microsoft HCTs and your proprietary test processes. Also test any drivers that share a file with the updated driver to prevent unexpected regressions. The Microsoft HCTs for devices are available at: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/whql/default.mspx.
- Follow the same Plug and Play ID format as the existing in-box driver. Create both drivers either with or without port enumerators. For example, do not switch from using enumerated IDs to non-enumerated IDs in a later version of the driver.
- If an updated version of an in-box driver has replaced an existing driver, then the uninstall program should be capable of removing the newer version of the file and restoring the older one.
For more information about in-box drivers, see Microsoft Universal Printer Driver and the printer driver-related topics in the Windows DDK.
For Window Vista
To install or update printer drivers using the Printers folder
- Open Printers by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.
- Right-click the printer for which you need a new driver, click Run as administrator, and then click Properties. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click New Driver, and then complete the steps in the Add Printer Driver Wizard.
To download and install printer drivers from a manufacturer’s website
To download compatible drivers from a printer manufacturer’s website, first see which version of Windows you’re running, and then search for compatible drivers.
- Open System Information by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking System Information.
- Click System Summary, and then review the OS Name and System Type to find out which version of Windows you’re running.
- Go to the printer manufacturer’s website and search for a printer driver that is compatible with your version of Windows.
- Follow the instructions on the website to download and install the driver.
For Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
To update or change printer drivers for a printer
- Open Print Management.
- In the left pane, click Print Servers, click the applicable print server, and then click Printers.
- In the center pane, right-click the printer with the driver that you want to change or update, and then click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Select a new driver from the Driver box, or click New Driver to install a new printer driver.